NerdDinner as an Application vs. Sample Code

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Hello NerdDinner People :)

I know that NerdDinner application was made and started as educational application to help the beginners to get started with ASP.Net MVC.

Now as the application went Open Source and few changes were made to it, in addition to the features/bug fixes that found or will find their way to it I wonder if the purpose of application changed or not.

Let me explain a bit. The application is still a simple and easy one, and still a nice code to browse and learn from for beginners, but also can be a base for a websites similar to

The current version of the application doesn't (out of the box) support the deployment on other than wensite for different reasons; e.g. the hard-coded references and the requirement of installing the application in the root of the domain; i.e. and not

What brought that to my mind is that I'm planning to use the application in a website I'm creating, and although the number of changes I need to do to make it work isn't high, I'm concerned about the maintenance effort later (updating to the latest version and patching the application with the latest bug fixes) and the possibility of code conflicts.

My question is will you accept such changes that will make NerdDinner a "plug-and-play" application or is it a "take it or leave it" kind of application :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM

You are always welcome to take the code and change it, fork it, whatever makes you happy.

As far as ‘accepting changes’ you have to remember that it’s meant to be a learning tool, so I usually try to keep the changes limited to things like that.

That said, I’ll happily look at your changes.

Scott Hanselman - Microsoft